Photography and Knits by Elise Sophie

norwegian flowers, books in a stack on the bedside table, cups of tea, films with lots of swearing, pincushions shaped as mushrooms, cats with big hearts, friends with many names and flavours, music with a lot of dimensions, knitting needles that mysteriously disappear, and yarn. lots of yarn.

torsdag 29. mai 2014

MA History - check!

A week ago today I was revising for my last exam here at the University of Edinburgh. It was - and still is - a very strange feeling knowing that the next day it would all be over, that there would be no more exams. At least not here, at this point. It is refreshing and daunting at the same time, not knowing what the next year will bring. As I walked out of the exam last Friday I sighed a sigh of relief, and thought about what's next. The last year has been hard in many ways, but now I'm happy I finished and that I proved to myself that I could and can if I want to.

The day after the exam, the rain came, and it has been raining on and off ever since, for the past week. It's been therapeutic, in a way, as if Edinburgh decided to wash away all the exam stress.

 photo IMG_0017_zpsfe5c7653.jpg


 photo IMG_0021_zps4a33e11a.jpg

And I'm sure you've guessed already what I've been spending these rainy days doing. Exactly - knitting! And this is basically what my days look like now:

 photo IMG_0032_zps26632d89.jpg

This is my attempt at the new shawl pattern from Gudrun Johnston, Halligarth. Earlier this spring I decided I'd like to knit a shawl for each of my grandmothers, and this is for my paternal grandmother, Karen, who told me she loves deep red. Since this pattern was inspired by a wood on the Shetland Islands, I decided I'd like to use wool from Shetland for this shawl, and since I love Jamieson's Spindrift, it was an easy choice. They have so many incredible colours, I had a hard time picking a red that I thought would be perfect for my grandma, but I think this one, Sunrise, fits my criteria perfectly.

This close-up picture shows the colour more accurately:

 photo IMG_0033_zpsd15ffa95.jpg

For my maternal grandmother, Anna Elise, I quickly decided I'd like to knit Kate Davies' new pattern, A Hap for Harriet. After having read the beautiful story behind the design on Kate's blog, I was even more determined. I haven't started knitting this one yet, since the yarn I'm going to use is currently in Norway at my parents' house.

While I'm loving the lace pattern of the Halligarth, I also quickly cast on a new cardigan for one of the 'nieces', Olivia, in a simpler stockinette stitch, to knit while watching X-Files and other things.  Here's a photo of my progress so far:

 photo IMG_0009_zps61dc4139.jpg

I'm making a Cricket! I've unravelled a scarf I'd initially planned on giving to Olivia's mum for Christmas, but it got too tedious, in order to knit this instead. The yarn (Cascade 220) is not the right weight, really, for this cardigan, but I'm only a few stitches off the right gauge using 4, 5mm needles, so I'm sort of counting on it to end up somewhere inbetween a 4 and 6 year-old, which is a good thing, right? Olivia will turn three right after Christmas, but she is a very tall girl with very tall parents, so fingers crossed she'll be able to wear it for a full year at least (maybe even longer?). I'm planning on using some of my moss-green left-overs from a shawl knitted in the same wool for the lining of the pockets (which, incidentally, I'm super excited about knitting, since it'll be my first time!).

So that was that for this time, but it feels wonderful to have rested and to have knitted guilt-free for nearly a whole week. May the next year be very knitterly and wooly!


0 kommentarer:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts by others

The least strained and most natural ways of the soul are the most beautiful; the best occupations are the least forced.
- Michel de Montaigne.

What's on my bedsidetable right now:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Copyright Notice

All the pictures on this blog are © Elise Albrektsen, unless otherwise noted, and should not be used without my permission. Send questions, thoughts and other messages to elise_albrektsen (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Happy reading!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP