Photography and Knits by Elise Sophie

norwegian flowers, books in a stack on the bedside table, cups of tea, films with lots of swearing, pincushions shaped as mushrooms, cats with big hearts, friends with many names and flavours, music with a lot of dimensions, knitting needles that mysteriously disappear, and yarn. lots of yarn.

tirsdag 20. januar 2015

Epistropheid

First project finished (and begun) in 2015:

An Epistropheid hat for my dear boyfriend, Alasdair.

 photo IMG_0605_zps7467e752.jpg

It's knitted in Pickles's Tweedy,  a nice, worsted/aran-y yarn (don't actually know what I'm talking about here, but hopefully you'll get an idea of the thickness), which leaves the knitted fabric with lovely little specks of unexpected colours dotted all over it. While I loved the yarn in the ball, I'm not so sure about how I feel after knitting with it. I think it had something to do with the gauge I knitted this hat in, and not actually the yarn itself. Although the hat ended up fitting Alasdair surprisingly well (especially considering I skipped the oh-so-important gauge swatch this time around), it doesn't drape. At all. Which means that this hat, while looking great on Alasdair, looks funny (a.k.a. ridiculous) when worn by yours truly, as in standing up oddly, kinda sortof like a fez... Which is good for Alasdair, but not for me, since I had a cunning plan involving me using this hat as much as him. But! The pattern was an absolute treat to follow and knit, so it won't really be much of a bother to knit another one, hooray!

 photo IMG_0608_zpsd9f8507e.jpg

Like any hat pattern by Kate Davies, the crown stands out as a masterpiece (especially to a novice pattern "creator" like myself). I'm especially pleased that I managed to knit the decreases smoothly - practice makes one better at knitting, apparently..

 photo IMG_0609_zpsad87cb87.jpg

And after all this I'm left with a chuffed BF, who's not going to have to walk around with a cold head in the Norwegian winter, which sometimes lasts for a very long time indeed. (Also, the warm and cozy looking cowl he is wearing in this photo is none other than the Calimero I test knit for Elizabeth Brassard a year and a half ago!!)

0 kommentarer:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts by others

The least strained and most natural ways of the soul are the most beautiful; the best occupations are the least forced.
- Michel de Montaigne.

What's on my bedsidetable right now:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Copyright Notice

All the pictures on this blog are © Elise Albrektsen, unless otherwise noted, and should not be used without my permission. Send questions, thoughts and other messages to elise_albrektsen (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Happy reading!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP