Photography and Knits by Elise Sophie

norwegian flowers, books in a stack on the bedside table, cups of tea, films with lots of swearing, pincushions shaped as mushrooms, cats with big hearts, friends with many names and flavours, music with a lot of dimensions, knitting needles that mysteriously disappear, and yarn. lots of yarn.

onsdag 25. mars 2015

Halligarth

It's funny how it works, isn't it, that now that I've decided to be more impulsive about my blog and the contents I put up, I actually have a finished object to show you?

I showed a few 'in progress' photos what seems ages ago (here), but I suddenly had the urge to finish knitting the Halligarth shawl for my grandma! I've loved working on this shawl, and remember thinking I didn't want it to end when I was in the middle of it. I struggled to understand how to knit "perpendicularly" for the edging, and had to try quite a few times before I suddenly had one of those wow-moments. It then took me about two nights, or about four episodes of Downton Abbey to have the shawl finished.


 photo IMG_0716_zps4jockvgs.jpg

The end result is a lovely, squishy, soft and luxurious shawl that will hopefully be to the liking of my dear grandma.

 photo IMG_0702_zpsctf0s9wx.jpg

The pattern was easy to follow (even the edging instructions that I didn't 'get' to begin with - after I re-read them properly the rest was easy peasy), and I even managed to memorise it, which is rare for me.

 photo IMG_0694_zpsv5vjwcyy.jpg

I was also eager to see how the Spindrift yarn would behave during blocking and after - I've heard so much good stuff about 'the good memory' of Shetland wool, and I wasn't disappointed! The shawl dried reasonably fast (I decided to wet wet block it), and the stitches and the pattern bloomed beautifully and when I unpinned it, it kept the shape remarkably well, and feels soft and firm at the same time. Lovely, mmm!


I'm excited to start knitting the shawl for my maternal grandmother, Anna Elise (my namesake), and have started to look through Ravelry for patterns (there are SO many, oh dear). Will keep you updated on what I choose.
--- --- ---

Pattern: Halligarth , by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn: Jamieson's Spindrift, in the colourway 'Sunrise'
Needle(s): 4,5 mm 

--- --- ---
Hope you've also had some knitting successes lately!

2 kommentarer:

Birgitte juli 07, 2015  

Dette sjalet var utrolig fint! Fargen var nydelig!

elisesophie juli 20, 2015  

Takk for hyggelig kommentar, Birgitte :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts by others

The least strained and most natural ways of the soul are the most beautiful; the best occupations are the least forced.
- Michel de Montaigne.

What's on my bedsidetable right now:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Copyright Notice

All the pictures on this blog are © Elise Albrektsen, unless otherwise noted, and should not be used without my permission. Send questions, thoughts and other messages to elise_albrektsen (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Happy reading!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP