Photography and Knits by Elise Sophie

norwegian flowers, books in a stack on the bedside table, cups of tea, films with lots of swearing, pincushions shaped as mushrooms, cats with big hearts, friends with many names and flavours, music with a lot of dimensions, knitting needles that mysteriously disappear, and yarn. lots of yarn.

torsdag 23. april 2015

The Call of the Sea

Lately I've been missing the ocean. A lot. I grew up living as close to the sea as you could get, and the sounds, smells and accompanying wildlife, both floral and animal, is still very close to my heart.

So, on a sunny but quite 'wuthering' day, we set out to find a nice spot to both touch and watch the sea. It was lovely.

 photo Hukodden_zpsznlxiuwc.jpg

I've been reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, and I have to admit it's taking quite a bit of mental effort to get through. So much so that I've had to have another book for bedtime reading (Amy Poehler's Yes Please, if you were wondering. It's very funny and good, by the way!) I love the intense feelings and the structure of the narrative, but I have to say the characters are quite unrelatable to me. I've been curious to read the works of the other Brontë sisters, having over the course of 2014 developed a strong liking for the books by Charlotte Brontë (and particularly Jane Eyre - it is thoroughly amazing, favourite book. EVER! At least for now... but Vilette was pretty good too. I could go on and on writing in these brackets...), and decided to pick up Wuthering Heights. A big thank you is due to my dear friend Sofie for insisting on the necessity to read this novel in springtime or in the summer. I absolutely could not have gotten through it in the midst of a bleak, dark winter. The sun and the springing of the season has been welcome things to look up at whenever I've paused, which has been frequent; I've had to put it down for days on end, only to be completely captured by it when I've decided to pick it up again.

Anyway, the book somehow made me miss the wind and the sea, and all things weather related. Heavy, blustery weather that is. I've discovered that the weather here in Oslo is not as temperamental as the weather is in Edinburgh, not by a long shot. I miss the unpredictable weather in Edinburgh - in Oslo you can, 9 days out of 10, be sure that you've put on a suitable outfit for the entire day, and not just for the next ten minutes. This might sound like an absurd thing to miss, but it did make for a lot of interesting situations and you could be sure of surprises every day. I do enjoy the sunny spring here in Oslo, but I think I need more weather.

 photo Blaveis_zpsr6smtefh.jpg

Have you read any of the Brontë sisters, and if so, are you as enamoured as I am?

Have a lovely, lovely spring/autumn!

xx

3 kommentarer:

Nicole april 24, 2015  

I have read much of the Bronte trio! They are captivating storytellers. But my favorites are far from Wuthering Heights...waaay to bleak for me! You should try Shirley sometime. I really enjoyed it, particularly the character Shirley!

P.S. I can't get your comment form to work on the regular site. I'm on the mobile one right now, and was pleasantly surprised that it works! Not sure what the problem is, but I thought I'd let you know! :)

Komodo 64 april 25, 2015  
Denne kommentaren har blitt fjernet av forfatteren.
elisesophie april 25, 2015  

Dear Nicole: I've actually read Shirley, and enjoyed it, although I thought it was quite long at times. I do love Villette, she is such a sympathetic character!

Thank you for the heads-up about the comment section, I've been having some major issues with the commenting on my blog for a long time. I've been trying to make it possible to reply directly to comments, but can't seem to make it work. I'm worried that you couldn't comment from your computer, however, since I changed the formating of the comment to be a standard new page.. I've had some friends of mine test it out, and it seems to be working alright for them, but please let me know if the problem perseveres for you.

x, Elise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts by others

The least strained and most natural ways of the soul are the most beautiful; the best occupations are the least forced.
- Michel de Montaigne.

What's on my bedsidetable right now:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Copyright Notice

All the pictures on this blog are © Elise Albrektsen, unless otherwise noted, and should not be used without my permission. Send questions, thoughts and other messages to elise_albrektsen (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Happy reading!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP